Guest Blog by Center for Cyber Safety and Education®.
This is a challenging time for everyone. We’re all on the internet at increasingly longer intervals as our new normal has become shopping, banking, working, learning, and even staying connected with family and friends, all online. Now more than ever, internet safety education is a priority, especially when it comes to our younger children. At the nonprofit Center for Cyber Safety and Education® (Center) we know how important it is to teach cyber safety to children and families.
Our vision at the Center is to make the cyber world a safer place for everyone. We proudly offer educational programs in 20 languages to make this a reality for families all over the world. We offer multiple programs, many at no or low-cost, to educate yourself, your family, and even your child’s classroom on important cyber safety topics such as cyberbullying, safe shopping, social media, gaming, scams, email safety and more. Best of all, we partner with that fat cat, Garfield, to keep elementary school age children safe and secure online through our multi-award-winning Garfield’s Cyber Safety Adventures®.
- With the help of certified cybersecurity professionals and the creativity of legendary cartoonist Jim Davis, this learn-and-play program relates to real-world situations children face online.
- The easy-to-use platform features animated cartoons, game-based learning, and find-and-click storybooks.
- It teaches safety lessons on privacy, gaming, cyberbullying, stranger danger, illegal downloading and more.
- Kids can earn digital badges and parents have access to a comprehensive internet-safety guide to keep their loved ones safe while staying up on the latest news facing families on the internet.
- Materials such as Garfield’s Cyber Safety Adventures Coloring Book, comic books, stickers, posters and trading cards can also be mailed right to your home.
We know internet safety is not a one-time conversation, but rather a series of conversations that are needed to instill enough knowledge to be safer online. And we believe that no parent should feel lost when it comes to the education of their children, especially in these times where we feel uncomfortable and disconnected from each other. For more information, please visit the Center for Cyber Safety and Education, and take advantage of these free tools:
- Resources for parents
- Weekly blog to keep you up-to-date on the latest cyber safety issues from app trends and cyberbullying to job hunting safety and email phishing scams.
- Newsletter to hear about opportunities to keep your family safe online.
About Garfield’s Cyber Safety Adventures®
Garfield’s Cyber Safety Adventures was originally introduced in the fall of 2016 by the Center and legendary cartoonist Jim Davis in the form of an Educator Kit to help teachers worldwide teach internet safety. The Kit includes cartoons, comic books, posters, trading cards, and stickers that show Garfield and friends tackling cyber safety issues such as privacy, the dangers of posting online, online etiquette, cyberbullying, and more. Garfield’s Cyber Safety Adventures has already delivered over 170,000 safety lessons worldwide and the series received the national Learning® Magazine 2019 Teachers’ Choice Award, 2019 Academics’ Choice Smart Media Award and the 2020 Modern Library Award. The program is now available for home and virtual classrooms.
About Center for Cyber Safety and Education
The Center for Cyber Safety and Education (Center), is a globally recognized non-profit charitable trust committed to making the cyber world a safer place for everyone. The Center works to ensure that people across the globe have a positive and safe experience online through their award-winning educational programs, scholarships, and research. www.IAmCyberSafe.org