Most people are familiar with the process of manually updating their phone or computer software. Every so often, a new version or patch is released, and users must take the time to download and install the update. However, most software, applications, operating systems, and devices now offer automatic updates. With automatic updates, new versions and patches are downloaded and installed automatically, without any input from the user.
The Benefits of Automatic Updates
Automatic updates allow for a few important benefits that can help improve the overall security and functionality of your devices, apps and software, such as:
Automatic updates eliminate the need to manually check for and install updates. You don’t have to remember to manually update your software every time a new patch is released.
Developers push updates to patch vulnerabilities found within an app, software or operating system. Automatic updates can help close security loopholes that malicious actors try to exploit.
In addition to patching security holes, automatic updates also address other bugs. This ensures that you always have access to the latest tools and applications.
What to Consider
Take this information into consideration when setting up automatic updates:
- Automatic updates use a lot of data if they are not set to update over Wi-Fi only. Many have the option to only run the update when your device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Consider scheduling updates to run at night so that the use of your device, app or software isn’t interrupted during the day.
- Some updates may require a restart to complete the installation, so it is important to save open files before the update installs.
How to Turn On Automatic Updates
Automatic updates are fairly easy to turn on, and most can be enabled from the settings menu on your favorite devices, apps and software.
- To enable automatic updates on your devices, look for the option in the general settings menu.
- To enable updates for your apps go to your App Store or Google Play Store settings.
- To turn on automatic updates for software, search for the option in the software’s general settings or preferences.
If you are having trouble finding the setting, perform an internet search for specific instructions related to that device, app or software.